Got a special treat for everyone today, a behind the scenes look at the GPE (Game Programming Engine), powering my game Abaddon.
I have significantly re factored the code, initially I had set up the code to just be whatever worked basically, so I had lost my encapsulation. Now, that I have rewritten everything, the game runs much faster. Every object is much more logically organised and the classes have high cohesion and loose coupling.
Obviously, there is still a lot of work to do. I want to create an interface for my manager objects to inherit from first of all, although that would involve multiple inheritance, and develop the gameState from an integer to a class that would call the pertinent subroutines as I am using a switch statement and case block to do that at the moment.
Anyway, I have also updated the installer so that it automatically runs the DirectX Web Installer Client to update your DirectX to the most recent version. This should rectify the missing DLL error. Also, by using LZMA compression, and by removing a few unused testing assets I accidentally included in 0.17, I was able to shave almost 10 megs off the installer!.
You can get the new version of Abaddon, version 0.19 right here setup0.19.exe (16.57 MB).
I have generated Doxygen documentation explaining the system structure as it currently stands. One can view the GPE Documentation at: GPE.pdf
Also, because no update is worthwhile without pretty pictures to look at, I am releasing a bunch of textures I have created for FREE! Just surf on over to textures to check them all out.